A specimen from the sheet under test is bonded to wood chipboard to simulate service conditions, and subjected to the heat from a burning cigarette placed on the surface. The test result is expressed in terms of any resultant damage.
1. Fine-faced wood particleboard, complying with EN 312 (for interior fitments),
(230 ± 5) mm square, with a nominal thickness of 18 to 20 mm (± 0,3 mm), a density of (680 ± 20) kg/m3, and moisture content (10 ± 3) %.
2. Urea-formaldehyde adhesive, containing approximately 15 % filler, or an equivalent adhesive.
3. Pale-tobacco filter-tipped cigarette, from a well known brand, with 11 to 12 mg tar and 0,9 to 1,0 mg nicotine. The cigarette shall have a mass of (0,97 ± 0,03) g, an overall length of (83 ± 2) mm, and a filter length of (25 ± 1) mm. It shall be kept in the conditioning chamber for at least 24 h before being used for the test.
4. Ethanol, volume fraction ψ (Ethanol) = 95 %
5. Soft cloth.
1. Conditioning chamber, in accordance with EN ISO 291, with a standard atmosphere of (23 ± 2) °C and relative humidity (50 ± 5) %.
The specimen shall be prepared by uniformly bonding a piece of the laminate under test to the wood chipboard, using the specified adhesive (see 30.2.2) evenly spread at 80 to 120 g/m2.
One specimen (230 ± 5) mm square shall be used. The bonded specimen shall be preconditioned for at least 72 h at (23 ± 2) °C and (50 ± 5) % relative humidity before being used for the test.
Ignite the cigarette and let it burn to consume a length of approximately 10 mm.
Place the burning cigarette in full-length contact with the horizontal surface of the specimen in a draught-free area so that the glued seam of the cigarette is not in contact with the specimen. Allow the cigarette to continue burning until an additional 20 mm length is consumed. If the cigarette goes out before this occurs, repeat the test.
Remove any superficial combustion residues with a soft cloth moistened with ethanol. Examine the surface with the naked eye, corrected if necessary, for any changes such as discolouration, cracks or blisters.
Expression of results
Express the result in accordance with the following rating scale:
Rating 5: No visible change.
Rating 4: Slight change of gloss only visible at certain viewing angles and/or slight brown stain.
Rating 3: Moderate change of gloss and/or moderate brown stain.
Rating 2: Severe brown mark, but no destruction of the surface.
Rating 1: Blistering and/or cracks.